- 230 grams pasta traditional elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 level teaspoon Dijon mustard (resist the urge to use a heaping spoonful…a little goes a long way)
- 2 cups milk (I use non-fat but 2% or whole are fine also.)
- 2 cups (230 grams) HAPPY VALLEY Shredded Cheddar Cheese
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, make the topping by tossing the bread crumbs with the melted butter in a medium bowl. Then mix in the HAPPY VALLEY Cheese. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and cover.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan and blend in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook until the mixture is bubbly, and then gradually add the milk, stirring while adding. Stir in the Dijon.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until the sauce boils, and then simmer for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the HAPPY VALLEY Cheese, and stir until just melted.
- Add the pasta to the HAPPY VALLEY Cheese mixture and toss lightly to coat. Pour into a 9-inch square baking dish (see note), and then sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the topping is lightly golden.